Data protection and information security are a top priority for digital enterprises and modern businesses. This importance of these cannot be overstated, as the repercussions of poor security measures are harsh – including compliance issues, public criticism, and loss of reputation.
The critical element of data security is based on who is accessing it. This is where Azure Information Protection, a new tool developed by Microsoft to help protect corporate information, comes in.
What is Azure Information Protection?
Azure Information Protection or AIP is a cloud-based solution that protects corporate email, documents, and confidential data through an encryption system by allowing you to run diagnostics on your data and set policies for all sensitive information. It first identifies data using sensitivity labels and then secures it with its encryption system in both SharePoint and Outlook.
For example, with AIP, IT administrators and users can:
- Choose which external users can copy, view, print and send documents.
- Revoke access to a document after granting permissions
- Encrypt emails, meaning that documents are not only classified with permissions via SharePoint, but are also encrypted when sent via Outlook email
It is important to understand that like other Microsoft security tools, AIP relies on identity-driven security. So, whether one is an internal or external user to the organization, authentication takes place through Azure AD.
In addition, Microsoft Azure Information Protection extends the labeling and classification functionality provided by Microsoft Purview with the following capabilities:
- The Unified Labeling Client: This extends labeling, classification, and protection capabilities to additional file types, as well as to File Explorer and PowerShell.
- An On-Premises Scanner: AIP on-premises scanner further allows IT admins to scan files and repositories to auto-label them based on their content.
- The Microsoft Information Protection SDK: Through this IT admins extend sensitivity labels to third-party apps and services.
Why Does Your Organization Need Azure Information Protection?
All business utilizing the Microsoft 365 suite can benefit from this nifty solution. It provides granular control over company information, giving admins rich visibility into where and how data is being used and shared. Take a look at the benefits of utilizing AIP below:
- Confidentiality Based Classification: The IT administrators can configure policies that classify, label, and protect data according to the degree of confidentiality.
- Long-Run Protection: Data is always protected regardless of whether it is stored locally or in the cloud or by whom it is shared due to classification.
- Secure and Frictionless Collaboration: The control over access to information enables IT admins to define which roles are allowed to share information outside the organization, creating a secure internal digital workplace free of unauthorized parties.
- Data Monitoring: All corporate documentation is monitored, and reports are easily accessible to analyze usage patterns.
- Seamless Integrations: You have the power to integrate Azure Information Protection and its document classification and control capabilities with Microsoft 365 and other common applications with a single click, empowering businesses to enable universal protection within the organization.
Maintain A Secure Digital Workplace with AIP & More
For modern businesses, data security and integrity have become a part of everyday operations. In this hybrid work environment, it is more important than ever to invest in solutions like Azure Information Protection. With AIP, you are able to ensure GDPR compliance and keep cybercriminals at bay by encrypting your files and documents.
We understand the cybersecurity space can get overwhelming. But building a comprehensive protection plan for your organization is crucial to its success. The Klarinet Solutions team is happy to address your questions on AIP implementation on your network. Reach out to us today, for more digital workplace security best practices and tips!